When creating a new smart home, it's easy to start buying devices willy nilly without thinking about their use. When you’re buying like this, you could accidentally buy two separate devices like a sensor and light to accomplish a goal, instead of buying one device that does the same thing.
Smart home devices can use many different types of radios and protocols, but some times, you can accomplish a home automation goal simply by using a dumb home device. A good example of this is a motion sensor security light.
If you wanted to, you could set up a Z-Wave motion sensor and a Z-Wave light to make this a smart motion sensing security light, or you could pick up a "dumb" device that costs a fraction of the price and does the same thing. The choice is yours 🙂
Either way, read on to learn about the best motion sensor security light for your home...
Don't want to read reviews? Here are the top best selling motion sensor security lights on Amazon at the moment!
If you want to read more in depth about these security lights, continue on!
Best Selling Motion Sensor Security Lights on Amazon
- SUPER BRIGHT, EFFORTLESS SECURITY - Hyperikon waterproof LED security flood lights are incredibly bright at 90 lumens/watt, deterring any unwanted activity. Add a level of security with built-in motion and dusk-to-dawn sensors. The security lights will turn on when sensing ambient light levels or motion in a range of 30-40 feet.
- QUICK AND SIMPLE INSTALLATION - This corded electric motion sensor security light can easily be installed by mounting to a wall and following a few simple wiring steps. Simply choose your preferred location at your home or business to illuminate garages, workshops, yards, storage rooms, driveways, parking lots, and more!
- RELIABLE IN ANY WEATHER - The IP65 weatherproof rating ensures that your LED motion security light can stand up to the elements. Rain, sleet, or snow, you can rely on the Hyperikon security light fixture to provide super bright light!
- Up to 70-feet detection range With adjustable detection sensitivity
- Selectable Light Timer (Test, 1 Minute, 5 Minute, or 20 Minute)
- Uses Two 120-Watt Max Par 38 Flood Bulbs (not included)
- 【Why Choose LITOM】 LITOM IP65 Waterproof Solar Lights Outdoor, which have passed the FCC certification and UL test, may be the most reliable solar light you ever get. More than 5 millions people's life have been lighted up by LITOM. Let's join us now!
- 【Larger Lighting Area】 With unique Wide-angle Design and upgraded motion sensor, LITOM 24 LED Outdoor Solar Light offers 2.5X larger illuminated coverage and 1.5X wider detecting range than other brands' solar lights.
- 【Three Convenient Modes】 Compare with other single-mode solar lights, LITOM Solar Lights Outdoor bring 3 working modes to cope with different usage scenarios. Perfect for using on front door, back yard, garage, driveway, deck, patio, even on RV.
Last update on 2018-01-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Why You Need a Motion Sensor Security Light
When you’re searching for a motion sensing security light, one thing you’ll notice right off the bat is that there aren't any Z-Wave versions. While this may seem like a drawback, it’s actually a feature.
First of all, sometimes you just need a device that does what you need it to, without any tinkering. What's also nice, is that you can rely on a non-connected device even if your network goes down since most motion sensor lights are battery and/or solar powered. That means you won’t even have to worry about power outages!
Not only that, but it's very possible to have redundant devices in a smart home. For example, you may need to light your back patio steps, but you don’t necessarily need to know about the motion or if the light is on or off. If that were the case, it would be much more efficient to get a simple but useful "dumb" device like a security floodlight with a built in motion sensor.
Best Motion Sensor Security Light Comparison Table
10' / 120º
10'-26' / 120º
25' / 100º
12' / 360º
10'-16' / 120º
30' / 120º
Our Pick for Best Motion Sensor Security Light
Out of this list, our favorite product is the iThird motion sensor security light. With long life, high brightness, a sensitive motion sensor, and different modes, these security lights offer the best features at a very affordable price!
Check out the whole list below!
Best Motion Sensor Security Lights
Let’s look at the best motion sensor security lights on the market to find a light that will meet your needs!
URPOWER Wireless Waterproof Motion Sensor
These solar lights are a little basic, but they’re great lights for the price. You can even get more bang for your buck by ordering pairs or sets of up to four of these lights.
They are solar powered, so you don’t need to plug them in or worry about changing batteries, but they do need to charge for a couple days before first turning on.
The URPOWER solar lights feature a built-in motion sensor with a 120 degree, twelve foot detection range. They don’t have a dim mode, but they do auto detect whether or not it’s day or night, so they don’t randomly come on when you don’t need them. With 8 LEDs on each light, they deliver a very powerful beam!
Mpow Solar Lights 2-Pack LED Motion Sensor
The most noticeable is the dim setting, which means that the lights stay on at a low brightness until the motion sensor picks up movement, and then they kick into high gear with a bright beam of light.
Their motion sensors also offer a greater range at up to 26 feet instead of just 12, and the increased battery life also means you get more light out of them.
The only downside to these lights is that they come in a set of two, so if you only need one, it may not make sense to spend the extra on these.
Sengled LED Floodlight w/ Motion Detector
We’re thinking outside of the box a little with this one because the Sengled Light is actually an LED light bulb with an infrared motion detector build in.
With the Sengled flood light, you can use an existing light fixture, so this device is absolutely perfect for a historic home or for a home that doesn't want to add unnecessary devices to the exterior.
For Z-Wave compatibility, you could always screw this motion sensor light bulb into a smart socket and get the connectivity you desire.
First Alert Motion Sensing Light Socket
Speaking of separate devices, this is a motion sensing light socket can attach to any standard size bulb.
This device screws into any existing light socket and allows you to add any incandescent bulb (up to 100 watts) or fluorescent bulb (up to 50 watts). You could even use it with an LED or CFL bulb!
The motion sensor is really great too, as it offers a 360 degree, 12 foot range! This one is rated for indoor use, which makes it perfect for dark stairwells, garages, or even a laundry room where you’d need a security light.
iThird Motion Sensor Lamp Sconces
These outdoor solar powered motion sensor security lights are similar to the first two on this list, but they have a slightly different design that is much more efficient.
These lights stick out from the wall (or fence), with the solar panel on the top and the light underneath. This means that their solar panels catch significantly more light, giving them more power for longer run time and brighter lights.
They are also really versatile with three different modes. First, you can have them on dim all the time and turn to bright when they detect motion. They could also stay off until they sense motion, and then turn on a bright light. Or, you could even have them stay on continuously with a bright light.
Mr Beams LED Motion Sensing Spotlight System
Mr. Beams offers many different LED lights, but these motion sensor security lights are top of the line.
These battery-operated spotlights have a more traditional security light look with a swiveling light on a stand, only with powerful motion sensing technology.
The Mr Beams lights have a PIR motion sensor, which means it reacts to heat as well in addition to movement, for less false positives. These powerful sensors also have a range of up to 30 feet, making them ideal for backyards or driveways.
These lights are networked together out of the box, which means that they talk to each other wirelessly. That doesn't mean they're smart devices, just that they can communicate to one another. This means that all the lights will turn on, should one of the motion sensors get tripped.
zwavezone.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking from “Z-Wave Zone” to Amazon (amazon.com, or endless.com, MYHABIT.com, SmallParts.com, or AmazonWireless.com).