There’s nothing cooler than a robotic vacuum cleaner in your smart home. When you have automatic lights, door locks, and HVAC systems, you also need to have a cute little robot cleaning your floors, right?
A robotic vacuum is the best new addition to a smart home. You may think that your smart home could never have a robot vacuum due to your pet's hair being everywhere, but the newer robotic vacuums have tons of features made specifically to pick this pet hair up!
Picking the right robotic vacuum for your smart home may seem scary if you don’t get how they will actually work in your home, especially if you have pets, allergies, or carpets. But don’t worry!
We’ve got the skinny on the best robotic vacuum for pet hair, allergies, and other special floor care needs!
Don't want to read reviews? Here are the top best selling robotic vacuums for pet hair on Amazon at the moment!
If you want to read more in depth about these vacuums, continue on!
Best Robotic Vacuums for Pet Hair on Amazon
- Tangle-free, powerful suction picks up hair, debris and dirt easily and efficiently. Perfect for households with pets.
- Long-lasting battery provides up to 110 minutes of cleaning time, free up your time to enjoy your day.
- With high efficiency filtration system which reduces airborne contributors associated with allergies and asthma.
- Vacuuming Dry Mopping Sweeping all in one, for entirely thoroughly cleaning
- With pet hair care technology, focus on picking up hairs, dirt, debris.
- Low profile design to clean under beds, sofa where dirt hides
- Cleans For You: Clean your house with the click of a button. Versatile cleaning modes and the low-profile design facilitates cleaning under tables and chairs along with every nook and cranny.
- High-Capacity Li-ion Battery: Delivers over 1.5 hours of fade-free power for constant, powerful suction.
- 3-Point Cleaning System: Side brushes, a rolling brush and powerful suction ensure a thorough clean.
Last update on 2017-09-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
How Robotic Vacuum Cleaners Work
Most robot vacuums feature a circular or disk shape with a low profile to fit under furniture, while others are in a D or oval shape.
Robot vacuums generally all have the same parts:
- Wheels for moving around.
- A suction motor of picking up debris.
- A reservoir to hold the dust and dirt.
- A rechargeable battery.
- Brushes for sweeping up debris.
- Sensors for knowing where the vacuum is located in a room.
- A circuit board for controlling it all.
Some robotic vacuums even have wifi communication onboard, so you can start/stop it any time via an app!
Most robot vacuums move through a room using their sensors to find furniture and walls, while their brushes and suction mechanisms work a lot like your standard upright vacuum. When you have pets, you want to look for a robot vacuum with a larger dirt reservoir and one with several brushes for getting all that dander and fur.
Fortunately, there are many models that are made specifically for homes with pets!
Though the first models were clunky and prone to getting stuck on corners or running out of juice, modern robotic vacuum cleaners have everything from charging docks to chips that let them learn the layout of your house quickly and automatically! Some can even communicate wirelessly with smart home hubs or an app on your phone, so you can control your robot vacuum just like the rest of your smart home gadgets.
Find the Best Robotic Vacuum For Pet Hair
When shopping for a robot vacuum, you have to take into account your specific home and its needs. If you have pets, even a regular upright vacuum can be a headache to clean with, and you may just assume that there’s no way a robot vacuum could possibly get up all that pet hair. However you'll be pleasantly surprised by some of the newer robot vacuums, as they do a great job!
Let’s take a look at robot vacuums specifically designed to handle pet hair.
Robotic Vacuum For Pet Hair Comparison Table
Schedule Per Day:
Full Bin Indicator:
12.7" x 13.2" x 3.9"
12.7" x 13.2" x 3.9"
13.9" x 13.9" x 3.6"
13" x 12.8" x 3.1"
12.6" x 12.6" x 3.4"
1 Year on Robot
1 Year on Robot
1 Year on Robot
1 Year Warranty
2 Year Warranty
Neato Botvac D80 Robot Vacuum for Pets
The Neato Botvac D80 Robot Vacuum is a D-shaped robot vacuum that has a special feature called CornerClever technology. This means that it can get closer to walls and in corners better than a round vacuum (ie. Roomba).
The Neato Botvac has three brushes to pick up pet hair and other debris: a side brush, a spiral brush, and a combo brush. These brushes are also designed to work on hard floors as well as carpets.
Like with most other robotic vacuums, you will have to clean these brushes from time to time, but they’ve been designed to get up pet hair without tangling - like many upright vacuums.
Neato's proprietary SpinFlow Power Clean system uses these brushes in addition to a powerful suction system to suck everything up, and it even has an extra large bin for collecting all that pet hair.
The D80 also features a high efficiency filter, which unfortunately doesn’t have a HEPA certification.
This robo-vacuum has a charging base that plugs into a wall outlet, and the Neato Botvac will automatically clean a room and then return to the base to charge when the battery gets too low. With a unique mapping system and laser navigation, the Neato Botvac is even smart enough to remember where it was in the room when it had to stop, and it will then return to that spot once it’s charged and ready to keep cleaning.
- Pros: The unique shape of Neato's robots give them the ability to get close to walls and corners. It also features a very powerful cleaning system, automatic charging, self docking and it remembers where it left off when it starts cleaning. Not only that, but it features a very large dust bin which is perfect for pet hair!
- Cons: Many reviewers noted that the D80 can get stuck under some furniture and the dust bin is known to pop out. It also doesn't feature wifi control, so you will need to schedule it's cleaning times manually.
Neato Botvac D5 Connected Navigating Vacuum
The main upgrades from the Neato Botvac D80 to the Neato Botvac D5 Vacuum are wireless communication and a better navigation system.
The D5 has all the same cleaning power, filters, and specially designed brushes for pet hair and allergies as the previous model, of course.
The tech upgrades make it the best robotic vacuum for pet hair. The Botvac D5 has onboard wifi that communicates seamlessly with an a smartphone app for remote operation. The LaserSmart navigation system scans the room with a laser, plans the best route of attack, then systematically cleans the room following the most efficient path possible.
On top of those high tech features, it also talks wirelessly to you, just like other smart home technology. The app lets you control the cleaning cycle remotely from scheduling it, to starting and stopping the cleaning. The robot vacuum will also tell you when the bin needs cleaning out, or you can set it to automatically remind you to clean it.
What's especially cool about the D5 is that you can integrate it with Google Home, so you can tell it to run with your voice!
- Pros: The D5 offers all the benefits of the D80 plus wifi connectivity and a longer run time!
- Cons: The D5 is known to run for a long time, so if you don't want it to enter a specific room, you will need boundary markers. Even though the D5 integrates with Google Home, it doesn't with Alexa :(. Also, just like with the D80, the D5 doesn't use a HEPA filter.
iRobot Roomba 880 Robotic Vacuum Cleaner
If you've heard of robotic vacuums, then I'm sure you've heard of Roomba, since it's one of the top brands out there!
The Roomba 880 by iRobot represents one of their best vacuums. The AeroForce Cleaning System in this unit has a three stage process to pick up dirt, separate debris, then pull the dirt into the large reservoir.
The dust bin is seriously big, so it won’t just stop working and beep at you to change the bin all the time. The suction is five times more powerful than the popular Roomba 650 model, it has a HEPA filter to catch microbes and dust mites, and the dirt bin is larger than other robot vacuums - all really good upgrades for pet hair and allergies.
The different types of brushes are also designed to reduce maintenance, as long hairs won’t wrap around them like they do with traditional upright vacuums. Users report this Roomba is a vast improvement over the 650 because of the lack of maintenance in particular.
One of the biggest upgrades to the Roomba 880 is the iRobot Virtual Wall Lighthouse. This piece of technology is both a virtual wall, which blocks the Roomba from leaving a room, and it also acts as a gatekeeper that will allow the Roomba out of the room once it’s finished. For the best value, look for a set with both the Roomba and the Virtual Wall Lighthouse together.
- Pros: The 880 features a super long run time around four hours, a HEPA filter for pet allergies, a large bin for longer cleaning times, powerful suction, and fast charging making this a great vacuum!
- Cons: The Roomba 880 does not feature wifi and if you want to take advantage of the Virtual Lighthouse, you'll have to buy it separately.
Eufy RoboVac 11 Robotic Vacuum Cleaner
Eufy RoboVac 11 is a round design robo-vacuum, so it can get around obstacles easier. Because it’s round, it has larger brushes to sweep debris into the body of the vacuum, eliminating the edge problem many round robotic vacuums have.
These brushes are one reason why the Eufy RoboVac is one of the best robotic vacuums for pet hair, as it can get all those little dust bunnies that short pet hair can create, even under the bed!
The Eufy RoboVac has one of the lowest profiles of any of the robotic vacuums on the list at 3.1 inches tall. As far as navigation, the RoboVac easily goes from carpets to floors and back again, and it has a drop-off sensor that can tell when it’s nearing a ledge.
It features two power modes, a more powerful suction for carpet and the other for floors, so you can make sure it’s getting all that pet hair. It also has several cleaning modes from “Small Room” to “Spot Cleaning” so that it can work the most efficiently, whether that’s cleaning the whole room or focusing on one mess. The navigation is pretty good, and it has an “Auto” mode that lets it clean only what needs cleaning to save power.
Though it doesn’t have a lighthouse type blocking device, the Eufy RoboVac comes with a TV style remote so that you can control it from the couch. Another good feature of this vacuum is that it’s very quiet, which is also good for households with pets, so they won’t be afraid of the vacuum! If they like it enough, they may even take a ride around the room.
- Pros: The RoboVac 11 features a unique power mode for multiple floor types, a remote for easy controlling, and it's super quiet!
- Cons: The downside to this vacuum is that it doesn't feature wifi and it doesn't map the floor. Instead, it just senses objects as it goes.
bObi Pet Robotic Vacuum Cleaner
Some vacuums are especially made to handle pet hair, and the bObi Pet Robotic Vacuum Cleaner is one of them.
The bObi Pet has all the standard robot vacuum bells and whistles, but with several upgrades that really pack a punch. Not only does it sweep and vacuum, but it also sanitizes with a UV light.
There’s also a mop attachment that you can use wet or dry for even more cleaning options. These two upgrades alone make it a great robot vacuum for houses with pets that may occasionally have an accident inside. Not only does the bObi Pet have a smooth silicon texture, there are little bumpers around the outside of the round vacuum so that it doesn’t damage furniture or scrape baseboards, leaving your house truly cleaner than it was before.
This robot vacuum also ships with a remote control and the bObi blOck, which confines the unit to a certain room and helps control access to the rest of your house. You can schedule weekly cleanings as well as control the bObi Pet with a TV style remote.
The HEPA filter and the debris bin are both removable and washable, so that you can prolong the life of your machine and get your house truly clean. Some users have reported that it can have some navigation, issues, though, so be aware that you might have to pick it up and put it back on the charger from time to time.
- Pros: The soft texture of the bObi protects furniture and baseboards from scuffing. It features HEPA filters, a dishwasher safe dust bin, UV sanitizing, and a mop attachment!
- Cons: This is an entry level vaccuum, so it may miss skinny and black furniture which could cause it to bump into them. And some reviewers have complained that the Bobi occasionally struggles to get back to it's charging station.
Our Pick for Best Robotic Vacuum for Pet Hair
Our favorite from this list is the Neato Botvac D5 Robotic Vacuum, because it has the best technology of the bunch, including wifi capability!
If you have an automated Jetsons home with all the bells and whistles, you absolutely need a Neato Botvac D5 to automatically clean up while you sleep. It’s also great for homes with pets because of the larger dust bin, high quality filter, and quiet operation. And the best thing is that you can control it all from your smartphone or via Google Home, just like your other smart home appliances!
iRobot and their Roomba used to be the only game in town, but now there are so many different robotic vacuums to choose from, that some are even better than iRobot's! Many of these robotic vacuums are designed to pick up pet hair and other debris like litter and small bits of kibble, so they are perfect for pets.
These 5 robot vacuums we reviewed are some of the best for homeowners with pets, and we hope we helped you make a decision on which one to get!
Whether you have a home with only one pet that needs occasional pickup, or a house with multiple pets that needs daily cleaning to keep up with hair, a robotic vacuum will be perfect for you!
zwavezone.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking from “Z-Wave Zone” to Amazon (amazon.com, or endless.com, MYHABIT.com, SmallParts.com, or AmazonWireless.com).