If you're a Home automation aficionado, you likely have a pretty good handle on all the different devices for your home such as light switches, sensors, thermostats, security cameras, light bulbs. But Z-Wave outlets and power strips are often overlooked even though they can provide a lot of value to your smart home!
The beautiful thing about Z-Wave outlets is that they can be used for virtually any device. You don't need to wait around for a specific Z-Wave enabled device to enter the market, you simply need to plug it into a Z-Wave outlet, then it's controllable.
Don't want to read reviews? Here are the top best selling Z-Wave outlets on Amazon at the moment!
If you want to read more in depth about these outlets, continue on!
Best Selling Z-Wave Outlets on Amazon
- ALEXA COMPATIBLE - REQUIRES AN ALEXA SUPPORTED HUB for voice control with Echo Products (Alexa device and hub sold separately). CANNOT connect directly with ECHO PLUS (Only ZigBee products can connect directly to Echo Plus).
- Requires a Z-Wave certified gateway. Compatible with the following Z-Wave certified Hubs: SmartThings, Pulse, Trane, Wink, Nexia, Honeywell, HomeSeer, Smart Security, Harmony Home Hub Extender, Vera, Connect and Iris. Works with Alexa for voice control (hub required, Alexa device and hub sold separately).
- Features one always-on pass-through AC outlet and one Z-Wave enabled outlet with tamper resistant outlets.
- Uses Z-Wave's Scene Command Class. The WO15Z-1 Outlet integrates with other Nortek Security & Control Z-Wave enabled products, and can also act as a wireless repeater to ensure that commands intended for another device in the network are received (useful when a device would otherwise be out of radio range).
- Easily replace existing standard wall outlets to add a Z-Wave controlled outlet. Compatible with any Z-Wave certified gateway
- Outlets include a white decorative switch plate and are tamper-resistant in compliance with NEC 2008
- Works with Amazon Alexa for voice control (hub required, Alexa device and hub sold separately)
- 15A tamper resistant split duplex receptacle, Z-Wave compatible
- Control side, 1800W incandescent, electronic/Magnetic low Voltage, fluorescent, .5 HP motor
Last update on 2018-03-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Why Use Z-Wave Outlets in Your Smart Home?
- Control your appliances remotely - Yes, Z-Wave lets you control your lights and thermostat, but you may also want to control appliances too. With a Z-Wave outlet/receptacle, you can shut them off when you go on vacation or when you leave your home. Having Z-Wave control of your appliances also gives you the ability to add them to scenes. So, for example, you could set your coffee machine to turn on in the morning or you could set your stove to turn off when you leave home.
- Save money - Say you forget to turn something off when you leave for work or even vacation for a week. This means your standing fan or other appliance will be on, sucking up power, for the whole time you’re gone. With a Z-Wave receptacle, you can shut it off remotely and save money on your electric bill every month. The best part about this, is that it can be completely automated!
- Retrofit old items - Not everything in a home can be dragged into the 21st century all at once. If you have an older appliance that you just love, but you want it to be connected to your network, a Z-Wave electrical outlet will let you control it just like the other wireless devices in your home. This means you can have your valuable Tiffany lamp and turn it on remotely.
- Be energy efficient - Phone chargers and other appliances can use power even when not actively charging. Just being plugged into the wall is enough to draw a little bit of power at all times. When you shut the outlet off via Z-Wave, you not only save money, but electricity too, making your home smart and green!
- Strengthen your Z-Wave network - Most Z-Wave devices act as signal repeaters in addition to their other responsibilities, so you can install a Z-Wave outlet in the wall and extend your signal int he process. Smart wall outlets are even better because walls naturally interrupt signals, so putting a Z-Wave device actually in the wall turns an obstacle into an asset. Most Z-Wave outlets are designed to send and receive signals up to 100 feet.
Z-Wave Electrical Outlet Comparison
While there are tons of plug-in z-wave dimmers and outlets available, we recommend installing a wall outlet. Having a Z-wave outlet in the wall as opposed to plugged into a standard outlet provides extra safety and security and provides a more reliable source of power for your devices.
That being said, if that's not something you can do in your home, external Z-Wave outlets will work.
The Best Z-Wave Outlets
GE 12721 Z-Wave Wireless Lighting Receptacle
Though the fancy name may fool you, this is a wall outlet that installs just like any dumb electrical outlet.
One of the receptacles is always on, meaning it’s not controlled by the Z-Wave, while the other is Z-Wave compatible so you can control it using your hub, tablet, or smartphone.
Like many smart home devices, the GE Z-Wave outlet has an LED light so you can find it in a dark room.
GoControl WO15Z-1 Z-Wave Single Wall Outlet
This device, just like GE's outlet, looks just like a standard wall outlet, only it has a LED to let you know it’s working, and of course it has Z-Wave functionality. This means that you can control one of the two outlets remotely and include it in a scene and the other will always be on.
This Z-Wave outlet easily installs just like a regular outlet in the wall, and it’s priced low enough where it's viable to have multiple in your home without breaking the bank.
Leviton DZR15-1LZ Receptacle
Like most Leviton products, this smart wall outlet is premium quality at a premium price. It has an LED similar to the outlets above, as well as three different wall plates each in a different color.
This outlet is also tamper-resistant because it has no screws and sits flush with the wall, giving you peace of mind. This feature makes it great for commercial applications or rooms in which you need a tamper-resistant outlet, like a child’s bedroom. It also makes the outlet look a bit more classy.
Zooz ZEN20 Z-Wave Plus Energy Strip
While not strictly a z-wave power outlet that goes in the wall, this product is too cool not to include.
The Zooz power strip plugs into a regular electrical outlet just like a standard power strip, but it offers Z-Wave functionality on five power outlets and two USB ports for charging phones or other devices. How cool is that?
You could, for example, plug in your entire entertainment system into it and turn it on or off remotely. Did we mention TWO USB ports for charging? Not only that, but it also features overload protection, so your devices are kept safe should there be a surge.
Aeon Labs DSC06106-ZWUS Z-Wave Switch
This switch isn't exactly an outlet either, but it's very nice switch that can be used for multiple purposes.
It features the ability to turn an appliance or device on/off, it monitors energy, and it supports devices up to 1875W and 15A. That means this device can monitor and control energy heavy devices like washers and dryers.
What's nice about these switches is that you can hook them up to monitor energy, so you can use them to notify you if your washer or dryer finishes it's load. It's super handy!
Our money is on the GoControl Z-Wave wall outlet because of the price. With the exact same features and functionality, the GoControl has a lower price than the other models, making it a better value.
Everything about this outlet is convenient, and the company offers high quality support if you need them. With a GoControl Z-Wave outlet, you can control appliances and other items in your home that you couldn't connect otherwise.
zwavezone.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking from “Z-Wave Zone” to Amazon (amazon.com, or endless.com, MYHABIT.com, SmallParts.com, or AmazonWireless.com).