If you've shopped around, it may come as no surprise that home automation can be a very expensive hobby. After all, most devices cost $30+ and you need a lot of them! Don't fret, however, because creating your smart home on a budget is very possible; You just need to know where to look.
Many large retailers run deals and promotions where you can get discount home automation on the cheap. You simply need to keep up on the deals and jump on them when they arise. There's no reason you can't automate your home without making your wallet weep.
Let’s look at the ways you can save money on home automation, and then we’ll rank some of the best websites for buying your smart home devices on the cheap.
First, Do Your Research
The main thing that’s going to save you money on home automation, is getting your hands dirty. I'm talking DIY installations.
You can’t expect full service, professional installation and discount home automation devices without spending a pretty penny. Sorry, it’s just not going to happen. However, it’s totally possible to install most home automation products yourself and honestly it's pretty easy to learn. You just have to do your research first.
This doesn't mean you only need to learn how to install devices, but also how to look for devices. For example, you'll need to pay attention to things like wireless protocols, whether it’s wifi, Zigbee, or Z-Wave and you'll also want to look at the specs of every product before purchasing. If you bought a Z-Wave plus device when your hub only supports Z-Wave, it wouldn't work.
A Good Hub Can Save You Money
When you’re doing installing your smart home, you'll want to start with the hub. This is the device that runs the whole show. It connects all of your devices together, so they can communicate. It also allows you to connect to your home via your cell phone, tablet, or smart watch to let you know what’s going on, whether your home or away.
When choosing a hub, we highly suggest you get a Z-Wave hub that also supports other wireless protocols such as Zigbee and Wifi (ie. VeraPlus). That way, if you find a more cost-effective device that uses a different protocol other than Z-Wave, you can still use it in your smart home.
Since you’re saving money by DIY-ing it, make sure your hub is made by a company with great customer service skills or at least one that has a fantastic community. That way, should you run into issues, someone will able to help you resolve it.
Z-Wave Helps You Save Money
The great thing about Z-Wave is that it's a mesh network. This means that every device you add to your home will make the signal go farther, allowing everything to talk together without having to add extra devices, like range extenders.
Many Z-Wave devices are also cheaper than their Zigbee, Wifi, and proprietary counterparts, primarily because Z-Wave has been around so long. Not only that, but the Z-Wave Alliance is great at picking companies that care about value, so many products that use Z-Wave deliver on features without breaking the bank.
What to Look for in Discount Home Automation
The sites listed below are all chock full of discount home automation products and many of them regularly run sales on these devices as well. Here are a couple things you should make note of when shopping online for Z-Wave products:
- When you research your devices online, make sure to read the reviews and manual (if it's available online) so that you know if you can install it yourself or not. I also suggest looking on youtube and see if there is a how to.
- You also want to check into their return policies because some devices may not work with your specific hub even though they say they do.
- Next, you'll want to check out the warranty on the device(s). Most Z-Wave and home automation devices have a one year warranty, however, not all of them do. Since these devices are high tech, many things could break in them, in which case it's advantageous to have a warranty.
- Customer reviews are also super helpful, just look for reviews that tell you about specific concerns or mention useful features. Many times, reviews can give you great ideas too!
Where to Buy Discount Home Automation
- Amazon.com - With millions of different products from sellers all over the world, Amazon definitely offers selection when it comes to tech in general and home automation specifically. Their customer reviews are also top notch, but you should have a bit of home automation knowledge before you go hunting on Amazon. Not only that, but they also have a great return policy should something go wrong.
- Jet.com - The best way to find discounts on home automation devices via Jet is to buy more than one of an item. That's because they offer additional price breaks when you purchase items in quantity. If you’re getting something like light switches, you can get several at Jet and save a lot of money!
- Monoprice.com - The cool thing about monoprice.com is that they only offer tech products, so you’re not only getting great selection but expertise as well. The products they’ve chosen are all going to be great quality, and their ordering process is seamless and safe. Their rating system is super useful, and they clearly mark items that are on sale so you can find deals quickly. An important thing to note about Monoprice though, is that their Z-Wave devices are not branded.
- Smarthome.com - This website only sells automation products, so you know you’re getting the most information about every device. This site is especially useful when you need to know all the details about an item. They have everything separated into easy to navigate categories, so you can find what you’re looking for quickly, but their discounts aren’t as deep as some of the other websites. They also regularly offer 10% off your order when you sign-up for their newsletter.
- Box Store Websites - It’s possible to order discount home automation products from the websites of the big box stores you’d go to physically (ie. Staples and Best Buy). The deals you’ll find here will either be in buying a bundle of products or saving in shipping by picking up at the nearest store. Just remember, you’ll still be getting the big box store experience, just online.
- eBay.com - eBay is another great website to find discount home automation products, because they have everything! Whether you want a used item or new, they often run deals where you can save a lot of money on your devices.
- Our Facebook Page - Our Facebook page is a great resource for discount home automation. Any time we find a deal on great devices at cheap prices, we post them there. Make sure you like our page, so you can always stay up to date on our posts.
No matter how you get your smart home devices, you will end up with a home that adjusts to your lifestyle and gives you peace of mind. Of course, it’s always better to get that smart home and have money left over to enjoy it!
Home automation can help you protect your greatest asset, but buying discount home automation online can help you do that without spending all your hard-earned cash. As long as you buy from a reputable online retailer, you can get your home smartened up on a budget!
zwavezone.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking from “Z-Wave Zone” to Amazon (amazon.com, or endless.com, MYHABIT.com, SmallParts.com, or AmazonWireless.com).