No smart home is complete without a smart tech thermostat - especially one with humidity control and other smart sensors. You can have the best security, a bunch of smart lights, and cameras galore, but if the brain of a smart home is the hub, then the heart of a smart home is the thermostat.
With a smart thermostat, you can control the temperature (and yes, even the humidity!) via your phone, your computer, your tablet, or even your voice! But where do you start?
There’s so many options and features available, that it can be overwhelming. But don't worry, because we’ve put together a list of the top tech thermostats so you can make an educated purchase when you decide to pick up a smart thermostat.
Don't want to read reviews? Here are the top best selling tech thermostats on Amazon at the moment!
If you want to read more in depth about these thermostats, continue on!
Best Selling Tech Thermostats on Amazon
- Product requires C-Wire, unit will not work without it.
- Control your Smart Home with Amazon Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately) and Apple HomeKit with voice control using Siri, the Apple voice assistant
- 7-Day Flexible Scheduling or Location Based Temperature control (GeoFencing). Uses geofencing technology to keep track of your smart phone's location.
- SAVE ENERGY WITH NEST: Nest introduces the 3rd generation Nest Learning Thermostat. With four beautiful colors to choose from and an easy to read display, this thermostat will help make your home not only smart but energy efficient. With just a few manual adjustments, the Nest Thermostat can learn your habits and start to save you money by automatically adjusting the temperature.
- READ THE DISPLAY FROM ACROSS THE ROOM: The Nest Thermostat does something new. It's called Farsight, and it lights up to show you the temperature, weather or time. You can even choose a digital or analog clock face. Farsight is big and bright on the beautiful display - you can see it from across the room.
- A STYLE FOR EVERY HOME: The Nest Learning Thermostat now comes in four fantastic colors; Copper, Stainless Steel, Black, and White. Choose copper to add a warm touch. Stainless steel is perfect for a classic, versatile look. Black blends in with dark walls and stylish decor. And white looks great in simple, modern homes.
- Works with Amazon Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately)
- Customize the screen color to match any décor, Control from anywhere with iOS and Android devices, Simple setup with smart programmable features for home or business
- Energy Savings: Choose programmable mode to save on annual heating and cooling costs. C-wire needed for proper installation.
Last update on 2018-01-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Why Do You Need a Smart Thermostat?
(Especially One with Humidity Control)?
Gone are the days of shivering and walking to the wall to nudge the temperature up a few degrees. Instead, with a smart thermostat that automatically controls the temperature and humidity in your home, you'll be able to remotely change the temperature should you be too cold or hot.
Smart thermostats are a good buy because not only are they remote controllable via your smartphone or even your voice, they also respond to your needs intuitively. Like other smart home products, smart thermostats connect via wifi or Z-Wave to keep your home at optimal temperatures.
With the use of geofencing, they’ll know whether you’re home or not, and scenes like vacation or away mode will adjust your smart thermostat accordingly. This can save you a lot of money by turning your HVAC system off when you don’t need it, all while achieving perfect comfort when you are home. Fancy features like humidity control also let you adjust your home’s interior humidity if you have a whole home humidifier or dehumidifier.
Thermostat Comparison Table
Works w/ Alexa
Works w/ Homekit
The Best Smart Thermostats
Nest Learning Thermostat
Google's Nest has always been a leader in smart thermostats because it learns your behavior and schedule, then it sets the temperature based on what it learns.
It works like this: Once Nest is installed, it watches your usage for a week, then programs itself based on your schedule and the temperatures you set. Then after that week, it will start adjusting by itself. As an example, let's say you leave for work at 8am and come home at 5pm. Nest will realize this and turn off at 8 and turn on at 5. You can even have it start to heat/cool before you get home, so it's a comfortable temperature right when you walk in.
Nest thermostat can also integrate with other Nest devices such as Cam, Protect, and Outdoor Cam to better control and protect your home. One of the most popular features of the Nest is the look, which is sleek and modern with an intuitive menu system.
Venstar T7900 Colortouch Thermostat
The Venstar T7900 is a relatively new smart thermostat that has received some great reviews lately which is why it's a top tech thermostat.
It uses WiFi for remote control, just like most thermostats on this list, but the true standout feature of the Venstar is the display.
Not only does it have various plates to match your decor, but the touchscreen display is fully customizable with backgrounds, dimmer, and also the information you choose to display. Not only that, but the screen is huge compared to other smart thermostats on the market.
Honeywell Lyric Round Wi-Fi Thermostat
Honeywell is a leader in smart home technology, and their Lyric thermostat definitely reflects that. The display is a large, easy to use screen that is customizable down to the background color.
You can program settings for the day or use automatic scheduling for common holidays. The learning aspect of this smart thermostat allows it to know how long it takes to reach your ideal temperature.
This thermostat also supports geofencing for automatic away and home settings. While it doesn’t have humidity control, it does have a sensor that displays the current humidity.
ecobee3 Smarter Wi-Fi Thermostat
The Ecobee 3 is a fantastic smart thermostat that features humidity control, a slick design, and a lot more!
What's unique about Ecobee, is that features remote sensors that can be placed in different rooms of your home.
The sensors are the star of the show, as they relay the temperature of the room their in to your Ecobee thermostat. Then, the Ecobee averages all the temperatures and continuously runs until the temperature you set equals the average temperature throughout your home.
It also has a useful Smart Home/Away feature which uses the smart sensors to detect if someone is home or not. That helps to ensure you don't waste money running your HVAC system when you're not home.
The wall interface also has a low-profile, modern design more like the Nest than the more traditional looking Lyric or Sensi.
Sensi Wi-Fi Programmable Thermostat
The Sensi has all the smart thermostat bells and whistles you'd expect, including remote control via smart phone/tablet, custom scheduling, automatic programming, wifi smart home integration, and a vibrant display.
It also has local weather information, so you'll always know what the weather is like with a glance. This smart thermostat also has a feature that sends high or low temperature alerts to your phone and an indoor humidity sensor to allow for even more control of your home environment.
The Top Tech Thermostat
The ecobee3 smart thermostat is our favorite top tech thermostat around. With a sleek design and multiple sensor support, it really is the best thermostat for a house with varying temperature needs in different rooms (ie. every house).
The ecobee3 is also compatible with Apple’s HomeKit, allowing the thermostat to automatically come on when you arrive home with your iPhone, for example. It’s also compatible with Alexa for voice control, truly giving you the house of the future.
zwavezone.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking from “Z-Wave Zone” to Amazon (amazon.com, or endless.com, MYHABIT.com, SmallParts.com, or AmazonWireless.com).